By Megan Vick
Today’s Food Friday comes from the lovely Erica at Erica’s Sweet Tooth. Her Vegan Cookie Dough Oreos are out of this world, vegan, and effing delicious. How could you go wrong by combining the wonderful delights of Oreo cookies with a cookie dough filling – and knowing it’s vegan! This is a great treat to bake with the kids or while you’re having a night in with friends (and pampering yourself with some vegan skin care).
Thanks again to Erica for this awesome recipe!
Vegan Oreo Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookies
yield: 20 sandwich cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cup flour
Cookie Dough Filling Ingredients:
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silcone baking mat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the vegan butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla and continue to beat.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and beat until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Transfer the dough onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and knead it a few times to bring completely together (the dough will start out crumbly). Once dough is soft, top with another piece of parchment paper and roll out 1/8-1/4″ thick.
- Use a 2” cookie cutter to cut out approximately 40 rounds. Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets about 1″ apart. Knead excess dough back together and roll out once more, working to cut out as many cookies as possible. Before baking, place cookie sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove chilled cookies and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to chill for 5 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookie Dough Filling Directions:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the vegan butter and sugars for 2-3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and soy/almond milk and beat for another few minutes until well incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped chocolate until evenly distributed.
When cookies are cooled and cookie dough filling is ready, plop some dough between two cookies and Voila! Vegan Oreo Cookie Dough Sandwiches.
Enjoy & Namaste.