By Megan Vick
Now that the farmers market produce stands have more veggies, especially the yummy stuff like Bibb lettuce and Romaine, I get into the salad mood. During the spring and summer, I could eat salad all day, everyday – no problem. I miss the days of classic Caesar salads, but now I’ve found a raw/vegan Caesar dressing recipe that is just delightful! You can check out the original post here.
RAW VEGAN CAESAR SALAD DRESSING
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (or raw sunflower seeds)
- 1/8 cup raw sesame seeds (or raw pine nuts) or 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/8-1/4 cup sunflower seeds (depending how thick you want it)
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp mild miso (I use Genmai soy and brown rice miso)
- 1/4 tsp kelp granules or other seaweed seasoning *optional (I used Bragg’s kelp)
- 1/2 tsp of dried dill
- 2 dates or 1-2 tsp agave or other liquid sweetener
- 1/2-2/3 cup filtered water (to thin as desired)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Using a hand blender or in a regular blender, combine all ingredients(starting with 1 date or 1/2 tsp agave nectar) and purée until very smooth.
- Taste test. Add additional dates or agave nectar, garlic or lemon if desired to achieve the taste you are looking for.
- Add additional water to thin dressing if desired.
Cashews are higher in fat than sunflower seeds, so it’s up to you which you would prefer to use. Cashews will yield a creamier dressing, but be higher in calories.