By Megan Vick
Usually, soups make sense in the fall and winter, not as we head into the prime of summer. But – this soup is so light, so delicious, and so vegan, we just had to share it! You can check out the original recipe here. This is so great, it will quickly become a staple in your home!
VEGAN POT PIE SOUP
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soy milk
- 2 cups soy creamer
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups meat-free chicken, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Strips)
- 2 cups diced potatoes, cooked
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 pie crust
- Saute the Earth Balance, onions, celery and carrots in a large pot for 5-7 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the basil, thyme, sea salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour and let the mixture cook for one minute.
- Add in the soy milk, soy creamer and vegetable broth.
- Stir continuously until the soup reaches a simmer
- Stir in the chicken, potatoes, corn and peas.
- Allow the soup to simmer, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes. The soup will thicken as it cooks.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- To make the crust, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and break your crust into pieces.
- Bake the pieces for approximately 10 minutes, or until the edges brown.
- Serve some crust in each bowl of soup.